Thursday, May 17, 2012

Seeing right through it...

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
I don’t know about you but I have quite a nice little supply of xrays accumulated over the years; and maybe you’re like me and like to think you can find a use for most things. So I’ve been doing a bit of research to see how others have used old xrays. Well, the first ones I saw were the embroidered xrays of Matthew Cox. What a clever, lateral thinking artist he is. Photobucket
Then I came across this installation by Julia Barello. I’d love to see this ‘in the flesh’ so to speak. As I would this lampshade by Sture Pallarp. Photobucket
I did find some instructions for making votive holders and a lamp at Fun In The Making so might give them a try. Photobucket
My Mum tells me that her generation used old xrays when making those lovely old card boxes like this modern version from Robyne Melia. Robyne has a tutorial on her blog and uses plastic covers from an office supply store. But Mum tells me that the old ones used xrays that were soaked in bleach to remove the print! I wonder if it’d work today….I’ll have to go off and have a play…. Photobucket

11 comments:

Witchcrafted Life said...

Perhaps it's because I've had more experience with the medical community than I care to think about, or perhaps it's because there's an endlessly fascinating element to being able to see inside of the human body. Whatever the reason, many of these pieces speak to me with their sense of subtle macabre and deep beauty. Stellar roundup, dear Chrisy, thank you.

Thank you very much, too, for your lovely comment on my vintage outfit post this week. The brooch post is in the works and will go live towards the end of the month.


Wishing you a thoroughly wonderful Thursday, dear lady!
♥ Jessica

Couture Carrie said...

Very cool pieces!
Love that wall installation!

xoxox,
CC

Myrna R. said...

I am always impressed with creativity. I never would have thought old x-rays could be recycled, and some so beautifully. Thank you so much for this collection of different ways to use and beautify something that we discard.

It's so nice of you to comment on my blog. Thanks. Have a really good day!

GlorV1 said...

Very interesting. I have xrays of my dog from the vets. Sounds like fun. Thanks for sharing. Happy PPF!

Imogen said...

Wow. This is so creative and unique. I have never seen anything like it before. Really amazing, great to see. I hope you are having a good week.

cabin + cub said...

Wow, that are some cool uses! I never really thought you were allowed to keep the X-rays! How clever to reuse them!

Katrina Jackson said...

This is an amazing post. So many creative ideas. Thanks for sharing! Hope you are well!

julie @ tractorgirl said...

Chrisy, I so love your blog. You always seem to find such interesting things! Love that bird installation on the wall.
x J

Anonymous said...

Very cool works! Loving the embroidered pieces- very interesting. May have to hunt down my old scans.

Joanna Jenkins said...

I could start a small cottage industry with all my x-rays! Who knew!?!?! These are all very clever ideas. Thanks for the tip.
xoxo jj

Ella said...

Very cool! I love this idea~