Sunday, February 1, 2009

Pop Rock


When I heard that it was fifty years this week since the early passing of Buddy Holly, J.P. ‘Big Bopper’ Richardson, and Ritchie Valens in a plane crash it started me thinking about the music and art of this era.

Like a lot of people, I don’t like ‘labels’ – for types of art or ways of living, but they do make it easier to write about things, so I’m using the term ‘pop art’ here. The 1950s saw both the birth of rock and roll music and the pop art genre. Like the music of the 50s, the ‘pop’ style of art focuses on popular, as opposed to elitist, culture. Pop art explores the everyday imagery that is so much a part of contemporary consumer culture, often incorporating everyday images from advertisements, consumer product packaging, celebrity photographs, and comic strips.

Just to set the scene for this era the clip at the top of the page shows Buddy Holly singing Peggy Sue on American Bandstand in 1958. Check out the introduction, the clothes, and the cardboard cut out type people in the background. Just a tad different to the current music clips.

I think that Buddy would enjoy these flashbacks to the 1950s.

Dress from Peta Pledger


Shoes from Vintage Fashion Addict


Handbag from Retro Threadz


Glasses from The Vintage Supply Co



Necklace from Vintage Principessa


Boudoir Ensemble from Maisy Brown Repro Retro

For a crash course in early pop art have a look at this. It’s a bit school teacherish but still informative.


And pop art, like rock music, is still around today albeit in different forms and utilising different technology. You can purchase contemporary digital pop art from these stores.



Carte Postale by Emma Kidd from from Benconservato



Hair Portraits by Miss Crowland

Superheroes Among Us 13 from Estasketch




Never Enough…Bags by Lucy Claydon for LottieFrank





Pop naturally led artists in to other art genres - a whole 'nother story. But i have to add a FREEBIE from Ela Steel an artist who works in Pop Surrealism. You can print out your own Creepy Desk Pals as featured in her shop, Steel.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a fantastic entry! I love the scope.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous images, every one. I love the frock best of all! :)

Maisy Brown said...

Great entry! I love both the music and the fashion (and the architecture/decor) from that era! Thank you for including my ensemble, Chrisy :)

Unknown said...

Wonderful items you have sourced Chrisy - love Peta's dress and Shayne's ensemble (would love it more if I could actually wear them, but that's a whole 'nother story!)

Dawn said...

OMG ... the dress .. the peep-toe shoes ... the clutch purse ... the winged glasses *swoon* ... I'm in heaven! Me and my 2-sizes-smaller-than-my-hips wish we were teens in the 50's ;)

Unknown said...

love the pic of those glasses. and i love 'superheros among us 13' - so 60ish.
i always wanted to be a Mod. you know, 60's mods and rockers? totally felt that i was born in the wrong era. i should have been screaming at the beatles in 1964.
love this post Chrisy! xo

Anonymous said...

Nice entry and thanks for including me in your finds!

petapledger said...

thank you so much for including my dress in your super-cool blog! what a great choice of items!!

Peta x

Katarina Kühl ~ PencilFashion said...

this era is soo special, the music and fashion is very inspiring to me.

Mel @ Skye Rocket Sews said...

How HOT is that Maisy Brown Number!
Great entry...Thanks for commenting on my blog,I'm glad you found me so I found you!
Mel.x

Hey Harriet said...

I love all things 50s! Wish it was the 50s now. I'd be one happy boppin' bunny! Cool to see Benconservato & Estasketch featured here. I'm a big fan of their work. So awesome to find wonderful Aussie artists featured here. Yay you! Thanks for another super post :)

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for posting my black patent purse xox
www.retrothreadz.etsy.com

Susan Tuttle said...

I love that dress and your presentation of 1950's culture -- thanks!

xo

Anonymous said...

Hey Chrisy. Thanks for commenting on my blog. It's all very new to me and I'm still excited everytime someone visits. LUUURVE the 50's - my favourite era, so talk about good photos!!! Cheers, MissyP.

esta sketch said...

great picks! thanks so much for featuring me here :)

Michelle said...

Where on earth do you find the time?

Your posts are great!

Leah said...

great post, I love all of those fashion pics!

Mary-Laure said...

Wonderful selection of images. Those glasses are super stylish.

Jill said...

Ok I'm in love with every item in this post! Love love love that dress, those glasses, those shoes everything! :) Do you ever watch Mad Men? I think you would like it!

Ro Bruhn said...

I remember my mother had a frock like that when I was young. I wonder where it is now? Thanks for visiting my blog too. The weather is much cooler now, low thirties.

Hot Fudge said...

So that's where my Fifties wardrobe went - apart from those glasses - not guilty of wearing those little beauties. But my girlfriend did, so I'll let her know where to find them.

Soyun Park said...

You have such a beautiful blog. I LOVE all the pics you put up on the pages. And... I miss summer.. Here it is too cold. Your banner gives am such a warm welcoming~
See you around~

Soyun.

planettreasures said...

Ah, yes! those were the days.
I would love to fit into that dress - and the shoes are to die for.

Trish Goodfield said...

Love those shoes, nice to know that style never goes out of fashion. Also just noted that you have become one of my followers. I am flattered.

Kelly Casanova said...

I love that spotty dress!

Bird Bath said...

Yes those fifties really rocked! I love the fashion of the era... I also like a lovely Saturday Matinee Movie featuring some good old fifties style.

Bec said...

What a sensational post!! It must have been a great era to be a part of. Thank-goodness so many wonderful artists and designers are keeping the spirit alive :)

Renee said...

I love the shoes and the glasses.

I just thought it is funny that I landed on this post because I wrote of someone in the 50s today.

Love Renee xoxox