Sunday, February 8, 2009

Embedded


Most of us have been exposed to original poetry in the form of books. But the use of original poetry in paintings, collage and sculpture seems to be increasing in popularity. Not surprisingly I suppose as the 'double whammy' of the visual image together with a text may convey a clearer meaning, create a more intense mood.

At the top of the page is a mixed media sculpture by Lolita from Daily Threads. Titled Memories the piece comes from her In This House series. I’m sure we can all relate to Lolita’s observation, “I created this series inspired by daily walks in my many neighborhoods and travels through the years. Passing by, you only see the outside shell of a house. Curiosity peaks when you see a window without curtains. What happens behind those walls? Who lives there? What are they doing? The rare open door almost seems like an invitation to come in.”

Ren Adams conveys a less friendly mood in his collage below. This beeswax piece incorporates an original poem, found art ephemera, and wax pigments to create a creepy mix. “Ever had the co-worker from hell? This collage might capture that sinking feeling.” (See also Adam's traditional chinese brushwork paintings in his etsy shop.)

Words like other art supplies can be manipulated to reinforce their meaning. Of her piece Out of Reach Trish Czech says “The word play in this piece centers on the words ‘hours’ and ‘ours’. When read aloud, they become nearly interchangeable, changing drastically the meanings this short poem could have.”
Sometimes it’s difficult for us to speak our feelings out loud but our art can convey these thoughts. Hurry, Run by Meagan Cutler employs original typed text on graph paper, glazed onto hand manipulated carbon paper, covered with transparency and black marker and black corner stitches. “ Where language is limiting, my painting steps in.”
And through an art work we can convey our true identity. In an art doll from Vintage Arts In the time it takes for a star to fall the artist incorporates memories plus tangible objects from her past to convey a present day image of the artist “Star was the name of my first doll. This little girl is a true artist. Her mind is so full of ideas she can't even hold on to them all.”

Even when we do not speak a particular language we can still enjoy its atmosphere as evidenced here in Zora La Rouge’s illustration that incorporates Else Lasker-Schüler’s poem ‘Mutter’. I know that this isn’t an original poem by the artist but I thought the German speakers out there might enjoy it; and that the fashionistas would enjoy checking out her contribution to the worldwide wardrobe swap group!

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

A wonderful post, as usual :) I love the little doll made out of a sardine can. All the little fingers look like fishes. I can almost smell them -- so nostalgic!

Jo (ruby-jo) said...

Great post. The worldwide wardrobe swap group is such a fantastic idea! PS: I have tagged you for a game on my blog.

trish said...

Thank you for featuring "Out of Reach." I appreciate it lots.

Unknown said...

wow- some visual fests there and yet i feel so pulled to 'out of reach'
wonderful
Lisa x

Sharlene said...

I am so glad I finally discovered your blog. Its such an adventure!

Sharlene
Sharlzndollz.blogspot.com

lyptis said...

Some interesting pieces! Im scared of 'The creepy piece'!
How often do u blog, every other day!

Miss u in the DUST thread!:(

Unknown said...

that's great ... I love poetry and art ... and together they are salavatious (that is a made up word but who cares it sounds cool)

Katarina Kühl ~ PencilFashion said...

thanks so much!

the fifth pic is great!

Unknown said...

How very neat!!!

Trish Goodfield said...

Hey you, another great read.

Michelle said...

I am inspired now!

Beautiful...I especially like the 'hours' one

x

Anastasia said...

I love mixed media pieces...so much to see, so many layers and details!
i think it would be great to take time out and experiment...i know this medium can get messy!
some great links here!

Anonymous said...

I'm loving Megan Cutler's "quilt" .. Thanks for posting it..off to check her out instead of working, he he he he

Hey Harriet said...

Great post! Love the Zora La Rouge piece best! Oooh & I like the creepy one also :)

Jeannette StG said...

aah I love a coming together of the branches of art. I do so with my own art. The Celbrity Collection of flower paintings I posted in a slide show in Jauary (on my blog) all have a little poem,
which I didn't add, because most of my readers I think would not go through 15 poems. visit me sometime castlestgermain(dot)blospot(dot)com.
cheers and have a good week! jeannette

Jeannette StG said...

sorry for the typo : Celebrity Collection :)

Gossamer Creations said...

I love reading your blog, it's wonderful !
~Sue~

Blanche said...

Hi Chrisy,
Thanks for stopping by my blog and wishing the best. This fire has me in tears every time I turn on the news and the fires near us aren't even mentioned. We thankfully are safe. I'm off to donate some goods. Thank you again and I love all these visuals you find!

Anonymous said...

great post! i love looking at mixed media/collage art. these pieces are very self-reflective, thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Oh, how charming!
I particularly love the colours you used in the first piece... very bold and vivid! : )

Olivia

Splendid Little Stars said...

great blog! Love all the art. I'm now a follower.
Thanks for the complementary comment on my blog!

A COLLAGE A DAY said...

i enjoy Ren Adams collage.
wonderful blog!

TheChicGeek said...

These are fabulous! Love them!

Splendid Little Stars said...

very inspiring! I love the house and Lolita's thoughts. The doll is very appealing. The graphics of the Mutter illustration are striking. You have given us much to think on...